Accountant at British Council Dhaka
British Council Bangladesh has published a job circular for the position of Accountant.
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK.
These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Department: Corporate Finance
Contract type: Permanent (locally appointed)
Closing date: 18 June 2022
At an unprecedented time of change globally, The British Council seeks an experienced Finance professional to support the Financial Controller in Bangladesh with Finance related to the operation of the new Bangladesh commercial subsidiary British Council Services Bangladesh Limited (BCSBL) as well as operations of the existing British Council Bangladesh branch, to guarantee the integrity, completeness, and accuracy of British Council’s financial information.
The role is accountable supporting the new reporting and process requirements for BCSBL, operational and tactical management of BCSBL data with emphasis on timely, accurate, complete financial reporting in line with internal organisational requirements and external regulatory standards, while acting as a trusted partner to the business delivery and operational support teams.
With oversight from the Financial Controller and support of the Bangladesh Finance team, This role is responsible/support for the end to end accounting process in the country, including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial month-end pre-closing steps and provide support as required for the financial month-end closing steps.
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial year-end pre-closing steps and provide support as required for the financial year-end closing steps.
- Maintain financial records as per corporate policy and local reporting guidance.
- Provide support as required on accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting.
- Provide support as required with manual journals and off-system payments requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Assist Senior Accountant/Tax Manager with preparation of local Tax submissions and other statutory returns.
- Assist Senior Accountant / Financial Controller with provision of information to internal / external auditors.
- Assist in the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Complete daily cash reconciliations.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of cash collection process.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of customers refund process.
- Support the income/Bank reconciliation process by extracting relevant reports.
- Ensure compliance with treasury policy.
- Submit relevant documents to local bank as requested including bank mandates updates.
Regional and Functional Team Working:
- Ensure Performance Management process in undertaken to meet corporate requirements.
- Contribute to ensuring the policies, procedures and systems are delivered with integrity.
- Work closely and effectively as part of the regional and global finance teams.
Actively support equality and diversity and work to the British Council’s EDI policy at all times
Role specific knowledge and experience:
- Part Qualified Accountant of ACA/ACCA or other professional bodies (Certification and Professional Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance and Accountancy.
- Minimum 2 years practical experiences on Accounting/Finance role
- Good knowledge and understanding of local reporting.
- Good knowledge of international accounting standards (IAS/IFRS).
- Experience in the use of SAP
- Experience in handling statuary reporting and external audit.
- Attractive salary and benefits will be offered to the deserving candidate
- An inclusive and engaging work environment encouraging cross-team collaboration and building connections with colleagues from different disciplines around the world
- Flexible working opportunities to support employee aspirations, personal activities and pursuits
- A learning environment with plenty of opportunities to develop skills and knowledge
- Experience of working in an international organisation which fosters work-life balance and commitment to smart working
- Applicants should be Bangladeshi passport holder or legally entitled to work in Bangladesh
- All necessary background checks as per the British Council Pre-Appointment Screening policy along with medical check-up will need to be completed successfully prior to signing the final employment contract
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and called for interview. We will only shortlist applications submitted on a British Council application form submitted electronically through our careers portal. Any hard copies of the application and incomplete application in the portal will not be accepted.
To apply, please click on the following link that will take you to the careers portal of British Council
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
The British Council is committed to a policy of equality and to valuing diversity and is keen to reflect the diversity of the societies in which we work at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies.
The British Council has Disability Confident Employer Status. We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role. Applicants are encouraged to highlight any specific requirements or adjustments needed to enable participation in the recruitment process.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
Job Source: Bdjobs CircularShare