Assistant Policy Officer at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Unit at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has published a job circular for the position of Assistant Policy Officer .
Job Category: UN Job
Assistant Policy Officer at UNHRC, Bangladesh
About the job
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering Assistant Policy Officer IICA-1, UNOPS, full time position, within the External Engagement Unit in our Teheran, Iran office.
S/he will report to and be guided by a Representative or a Deputy Representative based in Tehran, Iran, while working in close coordination with the External Engagement and Information Management units.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Assistant Policy Officer
Duty Station: Teheran, Iran
Duration: Until 31 December 2022 (initial period)
Contract Type: International UNOPS ICA (IICA1, equivalent to P1)
Closing date: 16 May 2022
Start date: As soon as possible
The role of the Assistant Policy Officer is to support analytical work to better understand trends, numbers and figures in the operation, and to make use of these analyses to support advocacy and fundraising work. As such, the incumbent will support the coordination and preparation of background notes and other strategic protection and solutions documents and advocacy on protection and solutions matters as outlined in the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR).
The incumbent is expected to have regular contact with staff throughout the office, Bureau, and operations on thematic and situational issues.
S/he is responsible for staying abreast of protection and solutions developments under a number of thematic and situational issues that are relevant for the region, supporting strengthened and coordinated responses of the Bureau in the provision of related advice and implementation of external advocacy.
Duties and responsibilities
• In coordination with Protection, Information Management and External Engagement units, gather and analyse data and information on protection, political, legal, social and economic developments and issues, which have a bearing on UNHCR’s protection activities.
• Draft inputs and support the production of background notes, talking points, key messages, trends analysis, reports and other advocacy and visibility documents for various audiences and purposes, including donors.
• Contribute towards the preparation of UNHCR strategies, positions and public papers on assigned thematic and geographical areas, situations or issues.
• Assist in organizing and preparing studies on key protection and solutions policy issues to inform management decision making and fundraising efforts.
• Assist in the preparations for high level events, including regional meetings and protection briefings.
• Coordinate appeals and reporting on UNHCR activities in the area of responsibility and ensure quality control for important publications.
• Stay abreast of relevant political, social, economic and cultural developments.
• Maintain a wide range of external contacts with partners and donors and support engagement as needed.
• Support the development of project proposals and project implementation, as required.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess a Bachelor’s degree in a Public Policy, Public Administration, Law, International Relations, Political Science, Human Rights or similar relevant field.
• One-year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree.
• Experience in policy analysis and development in international context.
• Demonstrated experience in drafting and editing, in particular on protection and solutions strategies, advocacy strategies, or partnership building.
• Have excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Proficiency in English language. Working knowledge of another relevant UN language would be an asset.
• Experience in coordination of UN interventions with other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context.
• Strong experience in conducting research, fact sheets, global appeals, speeches and concept papers.
• Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
• UNHCR field experience.
• Functional Skills: PO-Policy Advocacy in UNHCR; PO-Policy Development, Evaluation, Research, Publication; MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
The successful candidate will be based with the team in UNHCR Teheran, Iran.
Selected candidate will be engaged by UNOPS (UN Office for Project Services) to perform services in UNHCR Iran under UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA). The selection process consists of interviewing successful short-listed candidates only. Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit https://www.unhcr.org/consultancies.html
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Closing date of applications: 16 May 2022
This is an edited version to meet LinkedIn standards. For the official job description, please visit unhcr.org/careers.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Job Source: UNHRC Linkedin Job CircularShare