Last Updated on March 31, 2022
Manager Taxation at British Council
Company: British Council
Location: Dhaka, South Asia, BD
Position: Manager Taxation
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK. These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Manager Taxation, Finance
At an unprecedented time of change globally, the British Council seeks an experienced Finance & Tax professional to support the Financial Controller in Bangladesh with Finance and tax tasks related to the operation of the new Bangladesh commercial subsidiary British Council Services Bangladesh Limited (BCSBL) as well as operations of the existing British Council Bangladesh branch, to guarantee the integrity, completeness, and accuracy of British Council’s financial information.
The role is accountable supporting the new Tax reporting and process requirements for BCSBL, operational and tactical management of BCSBL data with emphasis on timely, accurate, complete financial and tax accounting and reporting in line with internal organisational requirements and external regulatory standards, while acting as a trusted partner to the business delivery and operational support teams.
With oversight from the Financial Controller and support of the Bangladesh Finance team, the role will support management in the corporate planning process and assess British Council tax strategy year on year and bring efficiency in Tax liabilities. The role will also ensure the submission of Income Tax & VAT returns in due time along with any required documentation, review all financial records, systems and control process of BCSBL as per accounting standards and tax laws.
Deliver a full range of Tax & VAT services in compliance with laws and regulations within prescribed time frames and manage tax provisions and tax compliance processes and coordinate tax audits with Tax/VAT authorities and consultants.
Ensure proper compliance as per Bangladesh Income Tax Ordinance 1984, Company Law and VAT Act and support lead financial controller on statuary auditing, holding AGM and annual RJSC return filling process and in addition, support the preparation of tax documents and exemption application forms related to DTAA and other areas of business.
Main accountabilities, not limited to the following:
- Filing of annual tax return u/s 75
- Filing of half-yearly/Yearly TDS/withholding tax return submission u/s 75A
- Filing of monthly VAT return (VAT 9.1); treasury deposit to VAT deduction at source.
- Filing of monthly suppliers’ TDS statements under rule 18.
- Filing of monthly salary TDS statement u/r 21 and submit yearly 108 & 108A return.
- Calculating Withholding VAT / VAT deduction at source (VDS) when make suppliers’ payment.
- Issuance of VAT 6.3 (Tax Invoice) on regular basis and VDS certificate (VAT 6.6) on monthly basis
- Calculating Withholding tax / tax deducted at source (TDS) on regular basis as and when payment made or create payable
- Issuance of withholding Tax certificate to supplier according to the laws.
- Complete monthly reconciliations VAT and tax general ledger balances
- Maintenance of VAT and WHT record keeping on regular basis
- Manage compliances on overdue tax invoices according to the BCSBL control standards.
- Coordinate tax audits with Tax/VAT authorities, consultants and internal audit.
- Finance Tasks-10%
- Support monthly / month-end accounts review process in collaboration with Financial Controller.
- Support on transfer pricing audit and central bank reporting.
- Actively supports the management of internal and external audits.
- Regular review, analysis, and improvement of the quality of accounting processes in conjunction with the Financial Controller.
- Support Company Secretary duties -10%
- Scheduling Board Meetings, notifying directors, drafting agendas for the Chair’s approval, liaising and providing guidance on content to those required to prepare papers, issuing board papers, recording board decisions clearly and accurately, pursuing follow-up actions and reporting on matters arising.
- Establishing and monitoring procedures to ensure that the company complies with its governing document (articles of association), relevant company legislation and external filing obligations and deadlines. This includes any requirements in relation to shareholder meetings and the filing with the relevant authorities of:
- annual returns,
- annual report and accounts,
- changes to the governing document, and
- changes in directors.
Role specific knowledge and experience:
You should bring along:
- Proof of Identity requirements/right to work in country
- Written and verbal proficiency in English is required (Minimum B2 Level or IELTS 6)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance and Accountancy.
- Professional qualification: Qualified /Part Qualified Accountant of ACA/ACCA or other professional bodies.
- Minimum 3 years practical experiences on handling the Tax and VAT related data under local laws and handling tax/ VAT audits. Experience working with any reputed audit firm is desirable
- Good knowledge and skills on understanding of local laws (Company act, Income tax and VAT act)
- In depth experience and technical knowledge of tax accounting and disclosures for accounting purposes, including deferred tax, prior year adjustments and multiple years, etc.
- Good knowledge of transaction taxes and general accounting practices along with international accounting standards (IAS/IFRS). Experience in the use of SAP is desirable.
Pay band: PB6/G Local contract
Department: Finance, Bangladesh
Contract type: Full Time
Closing date: 03 April 2022
To be considered for this job, you must already have the right to live and work in Bangladesh. Please be aware that for this role, we are not able to sponsor working visa.
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email [email protected]
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 3 April 2022
Job Source: British Council Career